Nice 8-bit Game
Simple controls and a good atmosphere.
However, it seems like you staggered a bit in the originality department. Did you get influences from the indie game "Star Guard", perhaps?
Space Ninja plays very similarly.
1. The platforming and the level design (a maze-y look).
2. The walking-n-shoot enemy
3. The turrent enemy
4. The red mines
5. Lava pits
6. Enemies exploding in a flashing circle, then having their body parts fly apart in white pixels
7. The white frag-launching enemy
8. Checkpoints scattered throughout the level, in which after you die (by exploding in a similar manner), you are warped back to
I did enjoy the wall-jumping mechanic, which Star Guard lacked.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing the rest of this game. I don't blame you for creating a game based on the same mechanics and graphics of another game (If it ain't broke, don't fix it) but I would suggest AT LEAST mentioning "Star Guard" in the Author Comments.
I mean, really. This is almost a carbon copy.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.